Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I'm Alive!!!!

So today I did pretty much the scariest thing that I have ever done. I am taking a rock/wall climbing class here at ISU and today we repelled from the top of Holt Arena, which is more than 100 feet high. I am super afraid of heights so naturally I have been nervous ever since I found out we were going to do this, especially today. Sorry ahead of time for all of the pictures, but I am super proud of myself for doing this.
This one is of me and this girl in my class, Leasha, who is also super afraid of heights, getting ready to go up.

Climbing up the ladder, which I also hate doing

This is me getting on the catwalk to get where I am going to repel. The scariest part of this whole thing was actually walking up the catwalk because there wasn't one continuous railing to hold onto and plus, on one side there were the big lights and electrical boxes, so you could only hold onto one side.

Finally up there and you can barely see the ropes that we repel from.
I am the second one from the left, death gripping the railing.

I wanted to take a picture to show how high I was, so I brought my phone up with me because Eric had the camera. I was surprised that I actually could take my hands off the rail long enough to take the pictures with my phone and that I didn't drop it.

This is me and Leasha checking out how high we are.
This is me hooking myself up to the rope.
It was really hard for me to hook up the rope to my harness because I was so nervous and somewhat shaky.
Trying to climb over the railing, which was the second hardest thing I had to do and also took FOREVER (pretend I said like on Sandlot) as you can see me hanging on with my legs for dear life.

Finally I am actually starting to come down.

When I was coming down it didn't seem like I was that high, but obviously I was.
About half way there.


My hands and arms were so tired/nervous that I couldn't unhook myself so I had to have someone help do it.
I'm ALIVE!!!!

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job. Ok I know that was a lot of exclamation points but I'm really proud of you. That looked super scary once I saw the pictures. Really awesome job!!

Leisha said...

Wow!! I am so proud of you too and I am proud you didn't pee your pants because I think I would have! :) Yaay go Erica!!

Blaise and Tia said...

Good job Erica, I am proud of you! Good luck with your R.S. stuff. Miss you guys!!!!